MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION
“Missouri public schools: the best choice… the best results!”
Vacancy Title: Assistant Commissioner
Job Order Number: 9765694
Domicile Location: Jefferson City
Section/Office: Educator Quality
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Master's Degree in Education or related area (doctorate preferred) from an accredited college or university.
At least three years' experience in higher education and/or school administration.
(Other qualifications and experience, which in the opinion of the Commissioner of Education meet the requirements of the position may be accepted in lieu of the above.)
Knowledge of the principles and practices of the preparation, evaluation and support of quality educators.
Knowledge of current research and effective programs of educator training, pre-service instruction, and career professional development opportunities.
Knowledge of the statutes, rules, and regulations that apply to the legal aspects of teacher and administrator training, teacher/administrator certification, and educator evaluation.
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with public officials, departmental personnel, school administrators, and the general public.
Ability to communicate and express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
Understanding of the Department of Education’s leadership role.
Knowledge of the operational programs of the public schools and the administrative procedures and techniques used in those programs.
The official domicile for this position is Jefferson City, Missouri. Travel will be required. Mileage expenses will be reimbursed at the approved rate.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, professional, education and administrative position with responsibilities for the administration, supervision, coordination, and evaluation of personnel, programs, and services assigned to the Office by the Commissioner of Education. The principle responsibility is providing leadership for the preparation, evaluation and ongoing support of high quality educators. Responsibilities include the coordination of approval of all educator preparation programs; licensure of educators; and ensuring effective evaluation and ongoing professional development opportunities for all educators.
1. Directs and supervises those assigned to the office.
2. Plans, directs and administers the statewide certification program for public pre-K, elementary and secondary school teachers and administrators.
3. Addresses the state’s needs for qualified teachers through the aggressive development and implementation of alternative pathways to certification.
4. Provides leadership in the development of a technical assistance model for induction and mentoring for school districts.
5. Participates in the formulation of polices and develops operational goals and methods of evaluating new, revised and continuing programs in the areas of certification, educator preparation, educator recruitment and retention, and professional practices.
6. Initiates the restructuring and streamlining of the certification renewal process.
7. Initiates and directs the preparation of policies and procedures in the design of a statewide educator evaluation system, including the development of evaluation standards.
8. Provides leadership for the development of teacher, principal and superintendent standards.
9. Provides information on administration and operation of work of the office to the Commissioner and the Deputy Commissioner.
10. Supervises the development and filing of department rules and regulations affecting the office.
11. Responsible, in cooperation with other department staff, for contributing to department policy development.
12. Performs related work as required.
Complete a DESE application online at http://www.dese.mo.gov/divadm/humanres/documents/Employment_Application_2005.pdf. Please attach a scanned copy of your transcripts with the application. You will receive an e-mail confirmation when your application is received online.
NOTE: If a college degree is a requirement for this position, transcripts MUST be submitted with the application in order to be considered for employment. Failure to include transcripts (when required for the position) with your application will eliminate the application from the review process.
We do not keep applications on file to submit for other vacant positions. You must submit an application for each vacant position you are applying for.
ANNUAL LEAVE: Accrue 10 hours per month for new full-time employees, longer term State employees can earn more. Prorated leave for part-time employees in eligible positions.
SICK LEAVE: Accrue 10 hours per month. Prorated leave for part-time employees in eligible positions.
HOLIDAYS: 12 holidays per year.
RETIREMENT: Coverage provided through the Missouri State Employees Retirement System (MOSERS).
LIFE INSURANCE: Term life insurance coverage, equal to one times employee's annual salary, through the Missouri State Employees Retirement System.
OPTIONAL LIFE INSURANCE: Optional term life insurance available with maximum coverage of six times member’s annual salary. Plans are also offered for spouse and dependents. Premiums paid by employee.
CAFETERIA PLAN: Easy tax savings on employee’s cost for qualified payroll-deducted insurance plans, medical care, and dependent care.
HEALTH PLANS: Employer-paid/subsidized plans available the first day of the following month after employment.
DENTAL PLANS: Delta Dental insurance coverage is available.
VISION PLAN: Vision Service Plan (VSP) is available.
DEFERRED COMPENSATION: A payroll deduction deferred compensation plan available to defer taxes until retirement by investing in mutual funds and a fixed income account is currently provided.
Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you have special needs addressed by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Human Resources at (573) 751-9619, through Missouri Relay System at (800) 735-2966, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Our Applicants with Disabilities: For assistance with any phase of the Department process, please notify the Director of Human Resources at (573) 751-9619. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate special needs.
TTY/TDD users: Relay Missouri service (800) 735-2966.
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, or disability in its programs and activities. Inquiries related to Department employment practices may be directed to the Jefferson State Office Building, Human Resources Director, 8th floor, 205 Jefferson Street, P.O. Box 480, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102-0480; telephone number (573) 751-9619 or TYY (800) 735-2966.