Questions and Answers
1. Q: Do I have to report testing (193100) and case management of IEPs (198600) if teachers do it during their plan time and/or before and after school?
A: MSIP requires that all teachers have a minimum of 250 minutes each week for instructional planning time. Instructional planning time is not meant to include IEP case management or testing time. However, if teachers are using plan time for testing or case management of IEPs enter all required line information using the appropriate course codes for testing and case management of IEPs and show “0” for minutes per week. If special education teachers are doing case management of IEPs before or after school, the minutes per week can be entered using a delivery system of H – Before or After School Services.
2. Q: How do I report paraprofessionals/aides on Screen 20?
A: Special Education aides or paraprofessionals (K-12) can be reported using the appropriate teaching code (most likely 195000 or 195010) or 888200. In order for ECSE aides to be pulled over to the ECSE expenditure report, the aides must be coded with 195400 (ECSE).
Personal Aides are reported as Delivery System PA with the appropriate Course Code (usually 195000). Minutes/Week should reflect the minutes per week for each course code. Other line information should reflect the student to whom they are assigned, i.e. Grade Level and Program Code.
3. Q: How do I report teachers who co-teach such as class within a class?
A: For Teaching Assignments: Report Course Code with a Delivery System of CO, along with the appropriate grade level and program code and minutes/week. Caseload number would equal the total number of IEP students being served in the assignment.
4. Q: Are we required to report ECSE personnel on Screen 20?
A: Yes, you need to report ECSE personnel on MOSIS October Cycle because the data are used for the ECSE Expenditure Report. Most ECSE teachers will be reported using course code 195400 with a program code of 17 (3 yr, 4 yr, 5 Pre-K).
5. Q: How do I report speech/language pathologists on Screen 20?
A: For Teaching Assignment: Report as Direct Service/Instruction Speech/Language Pathology - Course Code 195500.
For Non-Teaching Assignments, such as oversight of speech implementers, report as Course Code 889000.
6. Q: How do I report speech implementors?
A: Use course code 195500 for Speech/Language instruction.
7. Q: How and when should consultation be reported?
A: a) Consultation time with other teachers that is written into IEPs and is student directed is reported as course number 193000 – Consultation. This time would most likely be in the IEP under Supplemental Aides and Services or as Support for School Personnel.
b) Consultation time that is used for collaboration for co-teaching purposes would most likely be reported as Plan Time.
c) Incidental consultation (daily/on-going) would not be reported separately. This time would most likely be included with other minutes already reported on Screen 20.
d) Consultation time with special education students would be reported using a direct service/instruction course number.
8. Q: What delivery systems should be used for special education teachers and aides?
A: Codes and definitions are in Exhibit 14 of the Core Data Manual. Appropriate delivery systems for special education teachers and aides include:
- CO – Co-teaching
- IG – Individual/Small Group
- SC – Self-Contained
- LI – Low Incidence Self-Contained
- PA – Personal Aide
9. Q: How do we report educators who are employed by one district (fiscal agent) but who work in another district (participating district)?
A: The educator will be reported by both the fiscal agent district and the participating district in the following manner:
- Fiscal Agent District:
- MOSIS Educator Core File: Report educator information, including salary
- MOSIS Educator School File: Report educator/school information, including salary and FTE
- MOSIS Educator Assignment: Report educator/school/assignment information, using the Program Code 09. Generally use the appropriate special education assignment code, but the generic 880010 (Contracted Services) code may be used.
- MOSIS Student Assignment: Would generally not have any student assignments to attach to an assignment with Program Code 09
- Participating District:
- MOSIS Educator Core File: Report educator information, showing $0 salary. Report the fiscal agent county/district code in the Fiscal Agent field
- MOSIS Educator School File: Report educator/school information, showing 0 FTE and $0 salary
- MOSIS Educator Assignment: Report educator/school/assignment information, using the Program Code 19. Use the appropriate special education assignment code
- MOSIS Student Assignment: Report the student assignment lists for educator assignments, as appropriate
10. Q: Do we need to report contracted personnel and, if so, how do we report personnel that we contract with to provide special education or related services?
A: Yes, all personnel providing special education or related services to students with disabilities must be reported. Report individuals with whom you contract using Program Code 19. These personnel would not have FTE or salary information reported. Use the appropriate special education assignment code(s) and report the appropriate minutes for each assignment.