National Board Certification - Five Core Propositions
NBPTS seeks to identify and recognize teachers who effectively enhance student learning and demonstrate the high level of knowledge, skills, abilities and commitments reflected in five core propositions.
- Teachers are committed to students and their learning
- Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
- Teachers are members of learning communities.
NBPTS Standards for every field and developmental level are centered on these propositions that express the effectiveness, knowledge, skills, dispositions, and commitments of the accomplished teacher.