APPLICATION CHECKLIST FOR MISSOURI TEACHER’S LICENSE
FOR NON-MISSOURI GRADUATES
Your completed application packet must include each of the following items:
- ONLINE APPLICATION FORM This will guide you through creating a userid and password, logging into the licensure system, and creating an online profile to complete the application form online. The help guide has information to complete this step.
- INSTITUTIONAL RECOMMENDATION (not required if you possess a valid out-of-state license) If you do not have a valid professional certificate in another state, you must complete the online application form and forward it to the certification officer at the institution where you completed your initial teacher education program. The certification officer must complete Section III and return it to our office. NOTE: This portion of the application is not required if you hold a valid professional teaching certificate in another state; a temporary, emergency, and/or substitute teaching certificate is not applicable. If you do not hold a valid out-of-state license, your application will be evaluated based on current Missouri requirements.
- TRANSCRIPTS Original transcripts (no photocopies) from ALL institutions attended must be provided. Please be sure your complete social security number or educator ID is listed. NOTE: a minimum grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale is required.
- VERIFICATION OF APPROVED TEACHING EXPERIENCE Teaching experience must be contracted and at least half time employment. Please have your school district(s) submit an official letter to the Department verifying your years of teaching experience. The letter should include subject areas and grade levels taught, as well as dates of employment. Substitute teaching, student teaching, college-level teaching, or serving as a teacher's aide or assistant does not qualify as acceptable teaching experience. The letter must be signed by an official of the school system where you taught and in the school’s official envelope. You may check Accrediting Agencies and Associations to determine the accreditation status of your previous district(s). If you do not have approved teaching experience, you will not need to do this step.
- VALID TEACHING CERTIFICATE(S) If you hold a valid teaching certificate(s) or license(s) in another state, you must include a photocopy of the certificate(s) with your packet.
- PRAXIS II SCORE REPORT The Praxis II Specialty Area Test is no longer required from certified out-of-state applicants; however, if you have test scores we request that they are submitted for each area of certification for which you are applying. A photocopy of the report is acceptable.
- $50 PROCESSING FEE + $35 UPGRADE FEE (4+ YEARS EXPERIENCE) Note: These fees are for processing your application and cannot be refunded. If you have 4 or more years of verified teaching experience, an additional fee of $35 is required to issue the Career level of certification.
- BACKGROUND CHECK A criminal background check must be completed. This information will be sent to us directly by the Highway Patrol once you have printed with the fingerprint company. It does not need to be mailed to us.
PLEASE BE SURE THAT YOUR APPLICATION PACKET IS COMPLETE! The items become the property of the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and will not be returned or released to other agencies. Mail the complete application packet to: Educator Certification, Post Office Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480.