CONTACT: Sarah Potter
Vol. 47, No. 9
February 13, 2013
State Education Department Recognizes Schools
Eleven Missouri schools were recognized last month as Professional Learning Communities Exemplary Schools by state education officials for their outstanding performance in implementing the professional learning community process. These schools promote cultures focused on learning with collaborative teams and effectively using data to increase student achievement.
The 2012-13 Exemplary Schools Award recipients are:
- Benton Elementary School, Neosho R-V School District
- Central Park Elementary School, Monett R-I School District
- Festus Elementary School, Festus R-VI School District
- Festus Intermediate School, Festus R-VI School District
- Festus Middle School, Festus R-VI School District
- Gratz Brown Elementary School, Moberly School District
- North Park Elementary School, Moberly School District
- Partridge Elementary School, Waynesville R-VI School District
- South Park Elementary School, Moberly School District
- Upper Elementary School, Ozark R-VI School District
- Waynesville East Elementary School, Waynesville R-VI School District
The award recipients were showcased by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education at the 2013 Powerful Learning Conference, held January 28-29. More than 1,400 educators across the state attended the conference. Margie Vandeven, deputy commissioner of learning services for the Department, presented the awards.
“The Exemplary Schools Award honors not only the school, but also the educators for their commitment to fostering a collaborative environment that focuses on improved outcomes of all students,” said Vandeven. "It's schools like these that will help drive Missouri into the Top 10 by 20."
Top 10 by 20 is the Department's goal, which calls for Missouri to rank in the top 10 performing states in education by the year 2020.
The Missouri Professional Learning Communities Project began during the 2003-04 school year. More information can be found on the Department's website at dese.mo.gov/divteachqual/sii/prolearning/.