Special Education Listserv
Subject: FY10 Monitoring Results
Source: Funds Management Section, Division of Financial and Administrative Services
Intended Audience: Special Education Directors, Financial Administrators, Superintendents
Date: December 28, 2010
During the FY10 monitoring cycle, several common results were noted. We would like to share the information on these issues as a preventative measure. Please review the following information carefully to ensure your district is in compliance with these items.
1. Federal Part B IDEA Funds must be tracked separately. Districts should use a project/source code to track expenditures with these funds.
2. Cash Management and Improvement Act (CMIA) - Districts should not request more funds than what was expended. Funds must be spent within three days of receipt. If funds are not expended within this timeframe, they must be returned with interest.
3. Obligation of Funds - Districts may not obligate/expend any Part B IDEA funds prior to the date their application was submitted.
4. Maintenance of Effort Documentation - The district must have documentation on the amount of state/local funds spent on special education.
5. Single Funding Certification Forms - The district must have all personnel paid entirely or partially with Part B IDEA funds sign a Single Funding Certification form. Those paid with partial funds may also have to keep a time and effort log depending on their duties.
If you have any questions, please contact our section at (573) 751-0622 or by email at email@example.com.