Get Adobe ReaderA note about viewing streaming video

Special Education Listserv

Subject: Scholarship Opportunity for Masters Degree in Special Education/Transition - New

Source: Barb Gilpin, Assistant Director, Effective Practices

Intended Audience: Special or General Educators

Date: August 23, 2012

Scholarships are available for participation in the University of Kansas (KU) online Masters Degree in Special Education program with an emphasis on Transition Education and Services.  Working with the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, the KU iTran program will offer financial assistance to participants targeting secondary educators working with disabilities in high needs areas based on a selection criteria that reviews state needs, teacher demographics, and student populations.  While this program can lead to a Masters Degree in Special Education and transition or an endorsement in transition, because Missouri does not offer an endorsement in transition, Missouri applicants will be eligible for the Masters Degree only.

The e-program of study for the Masters degree includes five transition courses plus additional courses to meet graduate requirements.  All coursework is fully online and offered through the University of Kansas, Department of Special Education.  Students will apply to KU for the masters degree in special education.

KU iTran supports online training programs through a U.S. Department of Education grant for special education and transition.  Scholarship support will be available on a priority basis to participants in the program.  Cost of tuition and fees is reimbursed to the student.  Applicants must first apply to the KU iTran Program for determination of financial support before applying to KU.  Applications must be submitted to KU iTran by October 1, 2012.

Steps to apply:

Step 1 Application to the KU iTran Program to determine financial support.  Instructions found at and select Graduate Programs.  Step 2 If admitted to KU iTran, apply to KU Graduate School and Department of Special Education.  Step 3 Admission to KU (master's degree or graduate certificate).  Step 4 Enroll through KU Online Enrollment.

Regardless of whether you receive financial support, you may still apply to the KU TransCert Program or the KU Master degree.  For eligibility requirements and application procedures go to: Graduate Programs.

For questions, email: Dr. Mary Morningstar, or Dr. Tracey Nix-Williams,