Getting a Job
1. Locate the sheltered workshop that is nearest you. Use the workshop directory or the map that is referenced in this section.
2. Call and make an appointment to visit and take a tour of the workshop.
3. Ask to fill out an application for employment.
4. You will probably be asked to provide documentation relating to your disability
5. If you are put on a waiting list, call every few days to let them know your interest.
6. Approximately one month before hiring the workshop should refer you to the
Extended Employment Certification Specialist (EECS) closest to you..
7. Contact the EECS and make an appointment to meet.
8. The EECS will complete your certification form.
9. When the workshop receives that form they will send it to our office for our approval.
10.You will then be informed by the workshop as to when you can start work.
11.It is important that you be on time and make all of your scheduled appointments during this process. A missed appointment could mean a delay in an already long process.
12.If you have problems locating a shop near you please give our office a call and we will assist you.
13.If you have any questions about these procedures please give us a call and we will also be glad to answer them for you.
14.Hiring at workshops is based on job availability and an applicants ability to fulfill the requirements of the job. The person hired will be the person who is best suited for the job that is open. If you have difficulty obtaining employment at one shop you can apply at another shop. Jobs vary from shop to shop and another workshop may have a job that better meets your needs or skills.
15.Good luck in your job search.
“The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. Inquiries related to Department programs may be directed to the Jefferson State Office Building, Title IX Coordinator, 5th Floor, 205 Jefferson Street, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102-0480; telephone number 573-751-4581.”